one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The First Month!




One month in and I am having a ball. My closet is my friend again, and I am seeing my clothes with a fresh eye. I have worn things in the past month that I haven't worn in years. I wore high heels in the day, for goodness sake! This is something I wouldn't ordinarily do. It is nice to make experimentation a mandate. I have no idea how this will progress, and by summer, I could be wearing absolutely crazy outfits.

Today, I went outside to see Charlie and Richard off and when the car backed out there was a dead rodent in the driveway! I screamed three times and the neighbors came out to see what was wrong. I was disgusted by the long tail attached to an unidentifiable body. Possum... Rat... Mouse?... Sickening. Hollis wanted to visit the neighbors across the street and I actually went to their house in these clothes! Last night, I did not change for dinner. Today, I am staying in my p.j.'s to mark month one of One Closet, One Year. I am celebrating by not getting dressed, but I made sure this is different than my airport angst outfit! Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any suggestions! xoxoxo-S!

2 comments:

  1. I suggest we go shopping at Goodwill. A test! To see how hard it is for you. Plus you can be my stylist.

    ReplyDelete