one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Salutations!





Salutations! After the sorrow of yesterday, both from the funeral and the news of Haiti, I am feeling appreciative and lucky to be alive. The funeral was actually pretty uplifting as far as funerals are concerned. The priest shared many sage parables and reminded us that while we are here, we are to love one another and do our best to live a decent life. At one point he asked for adjectives to describe the deceased and as the words "kind, funny, athletic, compassionate, loving, thoughtful, loud, silly and devoted", (among many others), traveled through the air, the ceremony felt very personal and intimate, even though it was in a huge, fully packed cathedral. The priest's name is Father Joe and he is from Nigeria. He has a beautiful accent accompanied by a very rich and warm voice. He also played the saxophone during the procession to the mausoleum. It was mournful and rich. It filled the void.

I still have to do my review. Perhaps I'll wait until Friday and make it my 2 week-er.

Outfit:

Shirt: I found this at Goodwill. I had seen a shirt of the same cut and shape with a different print, and said "I wish the print was different". I stumbled upon this a bit later! I'm pretty sure it's handmade and I love the fabric. The slit is also a nice detail. I believe I bought this when I was pregnant because it was a good cover-up before I was ready to share the news.

Jeans: Another clothing swap score! These are from J.Crew.

Boots: Hand-me-downs!

Jacket: I either bought this at a thrift store or it was given to me. I can't remember!

Hollis: Especially clingy today! God love her!

3 comments:

  1. Was it the same priest who presided over Richard's dad's? Sounds familiar. I loved the part where we got to say something about him. Sorry for the loss.

    Hollis is adorable. More pictures with her please!!! I bet you'll have a million readers by year's end. And how about the boys?

    p.s. text the word "haiti" to 90999 and you can donate $10 to The Red Cross. They will add it to your phone bill. I'm not sure if that's only for AT&T or not but I did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where can I get one of those baby-as-purse things? its a nice accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're very expensive!

    The boys will show up one day on here!

    The Red Cross Rocks! A truly trustworthy organization!

    ReplyDelete