one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Party Time!!!

Today I get to go to TWO parties! One for a seven year old boy, and one for a grown woman at Moonlight Rollerway. I decided I needed an outfit that could ‏take me through the whole day, although I do plan to add a sparkly jacket for the evening.

Yesterday my friend wanted me to address the feeling of not being able to buy anything at Goodwill and I can honestly say that after the initial letdown, I was fine. In a way, it's liberating. Kind of like the time a few months ago when I lost my cell phone. Besides the minor inconveniences it entailed, I felt free in a way I had not felt since the good old days when all I had was voice mail. I wasn't being called or calling someone every minute and it was great! I called it a "phone-cation". It was fun. And yesterday, I had a built in excuse, every time, NOT to buy. Even if it looked great, even I "needed" it, even if I loved it, it had to go back on the rack! Freedom!

Outfit:

White knit shirt: From cousin. Mossimo

Blue Sweater: I got this at a clothing swap and it came with a skinny black patent leather belt. It is from Express.

Jeans: From cousin. Gap.

Shoes: American Eagle.

2 comments:

  1. This is the best blog evah!!! I don't read every day, but it is such a joy to catch up with you over the week. Your clothes are so artful, chic, and so very you. Many hugs to sheyshey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jamie! I've been thinking about you! We have to make a plan! I almost wore a jacket you gave me a few days ago! I'm sure I will wear something of yours sooon!!!! xoxox-S!

    ReplyDelete