one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Around My Closet in 80 days!

So this is day 80! Only 285 to go! Wow! The thought of putting together 285 "new" outfits is a little daunting, but I have a few strategies to see me through. One is not doing laundry. I know many a gal is familiar with the experience of putting off the laundry too long and getting stuck wearing something she would never wear on an ordinary day. I have a pile of laundry mounting up that will probably take a whole weekend to wash, but it's helpful. I have worn a few things that I haven't worn in years, or ever for that matter. Including the top I am wearing today. I bought it at a thrift store, of course. I immediately fell for the ruffle detail and sheer fabric, but I hung it up and never found an occasion or outfit to wear it with. When I tried it on in the past, it didn't seem right. It might not be right today, but I'm wearing it! My eye is on the prize! Oh, I would also like to assure everyone that I do make sure my sundries get washed with the boy's stuff. I am not one to go out without full coverage. Thongs?! Hell to the No! I need fabric on my ample bottom! I have never gone commando, and I never will. I do know many people who enjoy it though, and I say power to them!

I had a personal photo taking record of five photos today! That is progress. If I can do this everyday, I will save myself a lot of time. Time is fleeting and of the essence, so I'm hoping this is a trend.

I have been given a few suggestions and ideas that will keep my site humming along, and I will try to implement and work on them. Some of them involve technological things, so it might be a while. If you have ANY suggestions, or would like to do a guest post, let me know. I am still waiting for Richard's post on American sweatshops in the developing world. I am also going to host a clothing "Spring Clean" swap at my house sometime in the near future! I look forward to seeing what outfits emerge!

Outfit:

Shirt: Goodwill. Not sure what brand it is, but it was Made in the U.S.A.!

Camisole: I don't remember where this is from. I wear it under a lot of things though!

Jeans: From cousin. Gap.

Shoes: Predictions.

1 comment: