one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bug-A-Palooza!!!

Today the whole family went to participate in Leo's schools' annual fundraiser. It is a silent auction with activities and food, and it is always a wild time. All of the parents in the school work really hard to put this festival together, and my/our contribution this year was getting The Monte Carlo Band to play!

Before the big day arrived, I was starting to have second thoughts about the band performing because a: we're not really a kids band, and b: I was a little freaked out about singing in this situation because it just seemed a little awkward. I don't know why. We got to perform right after Lisa Loeb which was exciting for me! I wanted to talk to her about her VH1 show that was on a few years back because I watched several episodes and was curious as to what happened. She said she has a baby, so I guess it all worked out!( It was a dating show). She was great, and she just seems like a really cool, easy person.

Now, I have to give a shout out to the AMAZING people in this band. I was doing this as a labor of love, but they were doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They are my heroes and I think we rocked the house! One of the highlight was the bass player Steve's rendition of Ring of Fire which included a spoken word section Steve created that was brilliant! He was perfection, and this is the perfect opportunity for me to mention that an organization Steve works with is having a fundraiser soon. The group is called A Circle of Twelve. They are having a their event on March 27th. It is: A Rose Among Thorns, a stunning one-woman show featuring acclaimed stage and screen star Ella Joyce as Rosa Parks. Details are on the website!

Another highlight of this afternoon was Maura singing the Led Zeppelin version of Rock and Roll. She killed it, like she always does, and the whole band sounded fantastic! I am really lucky I get to sing with such pros! Oh, a third highlight was Hollis coming up and joining us on stage. She really wanted the mic... I am not surprised!

Outfit:

Shirt: I wore this two days ago. My cousin gave it to me. Forever 21.

Skirt: Thrift store circa high school. In honor of the bugs! Vintage. Also worn in Re-Fashionista and V-Day.

Skirt #2: Thrift Store circa high school as well! Vintage.

Shoes: Predictions. They don't really match, but this was a costume of sorts.

This is my Rock Lobster face!

2 comments:

  1. You're so cute. I wish I was there to see the show then I could commented more on how awesome it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was fun. I guess I should have invited you!

    ReplyDelete