one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Science is Real!

Hey Ya! Back in the wonderful science room, and I decided to pay tribute to They Might Be Giants with my blog title today. I loved them when I was younger and now I have passed the torch on to my kids. Their latest and greatest kid album, Here Comes Science, is a lot of fun and has been running through my mind all day. I especially love the song Meet the Elements, and I love watching Charlie do his funky interpretive dance when it comes on. He points to objects made of the element being sung about, and it makes for some good chuckles. The whole family recently saw They Might Be Giants at Royce Hall, and I had a very surreal moment of being "the elder" generation. Flashbacks of seeing them play in my 20's appeared before me, and I had to laugh at how quickly time is moving! The science teacher left me with a wonderful lesson plan, and it is ALWAYS a treat to be in her class. She really knows her stuff!

I did not know what I was going to talk about today, but I always manage to blab on about something. I will pass on a little article Richard sent me this morning in an email. I am not sure if he is trying to tell me something, or if he just thought this was interesting. I do need some extra cash since taking this year off...  Hmmm... boobus cheese!

Outfit:

I wanted to wear something super cute, but it is really hard to dress up when you know you're going to be on the floor and in the trenches with kids. I kept the bottom functional and tried to make the top "professional".

Long sleeve tie blouse: Thrift store. This is clearly a 70's or 80's number and I got it when I worked in admissions. I love the rich colors and the funky print.

Blue Sweater Vest: I bought this at this very cool shop on Jay Street in Manhattan. It had all of this very interesting knit wear and I bought some things for friends and this when I happened upon it years ago.

Jeans: These are jeans I bought from Old Navy just after Leo was born. They really don't fit all that well, but I keep them around, because that's the kind of girl I am!

Shoes: Same as yesterday. Predictions. Several years old.

2 comments:

  1. I wish the idea of eating cheese made from another woman's breast milk didn't revolt me. Maybe it said in the article (I was too grossed out to read all of it) but do they pasteurize it or are you getting all the germs? Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. I was thinking about how different each woman's milk must taste. I don't think
    i'd be down for trying it!

    ReplyDelete