one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Babies!

I took all three kids to see Babies today. My cousin Taylor went with me, so it was much more pleasant than it might have been without her. The kids were fine, but they got a little restless close to the end of the film. It is 80 minutes long with no dialogue, and it has a pretty slow pace. Plus, it started right near lunchtime, so I think they became quite peckish. HaHa did okay, all things considered, but she did leave the theater twice. I guess she just needed to move. This was the first movie she's seen in a theater and I hope it sets a precedent!

It was interesting to see how parenting is managed in different parts of the world. It definitely made me realize that I think American parents are much more "involved" with their kids. And I don't mean interested. I mean I think we are more prone to intervening and managing our kids social and emotional lives. This can have both positive as well as negative outcomes. But I could be completely wrong. Maybe I am just too involved with my kids' behavior and trying to control it. I think I have raised pretty independent children, and I don't coddle them, but I do get involved when they have conflicts and bad behavior. Maybe I need to take a step back in these situations. I don't know. But Babies definitely made me think about it!

I have some summer school deadlines to meet, so I must end my post here! As per usual, I am the queen of procrastination! Will I ever learn?

Outfit:

Print Shirt: From cousin. Forever 21. I am wearing backwards. Seen regular style in: Showers!

Brown Wrap knit shirt: Thrift store. Very old. I don't remember when I got this, or where!

Jeans: Goodwill. Gap.

Shoes: Predictions.


2 comments:

  1. Did you enjoy the movie?

    I just read that book Nurture Shock by Po Bronson. Wow, if there's one book you and Richard should read it's that one. I'm pretty blown away. Any parent or educator should read this book and since you're both it could be invaluable to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did. And the American parents in the movie are not meddling, I guess it's just that two of the moms seemed to stay out of the sibling interactions, which was interesting!

    I'll definitely put that book on my list!

    ReplyDelete