one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Compact!

One of the exciting things about writing this blog is that it has introduced me to a variety of like-minded people who are doing really interesting things! One of these people is a woman named Angela Barton who has a blog called My Year Without Spending. She joined a movement/group called The Compact at the end of 2008 and vowed not to shop for anything for one year! She completed her year of time, and now her blog continues with helpful and useful tips for living a less cluttered life filled with more thoughtful consumption. On Tuesday she had a post about getting rid of junk mail and credit card offers once and for all. On Monday she talked about the Meatless Mondays campaign which invites carnivores to let go of their meaty habit at least one night a week! It's good for your health, and it's good for the planet! Shazam! That's what I call awesome!

On Angela's site she has a section called Thrifty Threads, and today, I was her featured model!!! I was so excited that she featured me on her blog, and she said some very flattering things about me. She also said that I inspired her to go through her closet and pull out some things she hadn't worn in a while and try some new combinations! This is exactly what I want to hear! The whole point of this experiment is to look at my wardrobe with new eyes, and hopefully get some people to look at their closets anew too! Perhaps I should get some people to model for me. I was actually thinking about going to people's houses and creating a "new" outfit for them from their old clothes... Any takers?


One last thing. If you don't normally read the comments on these posts, you should look at the comment from "Two of Seven" on yesterday's post. It is from my amazingly brilliant Aunt Diane. She is hilarious, and you can see why she is one of my idols! I heart you, Aunt D!

Outfit:

Simple again. Still nursing my hurt heel, so forgive the Fit Flops day three appearance!

Shirt: Goodwill. I love, love, love this shirt and it had been in a ball in my closet because it needed to be hand washed and it had several stains. I actually bleached it, which made it a little brighter than it had been before, but the stains are gone and I can wear it again! It has no label, but on the side label with the washing instructions there is Japanese along with pictures. 

Sweater vest: Goodwill. Urchin. Seen in When's Day?

Pants: Look familiar? They should. Same as yesterday. Isaac Mizrahi for Target. On sale for 8 bucks! I got these when I was preggers with Haha. I wish I had snagged a second pair because they are cotton, sturdy, and very cute! Also seen in Lissie!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome to be called out like that. And yes!!! I'll do it. Come create me an outfit or two. God knows I could use the help. I feel like I don't have any clothes but I know it's a lie. Help me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! A taker! Let me know when I can peruse your closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!

    I love this and am inspired to do the same thing! Currently, I give away clothes to those in need whenever I buy new items but I love the idea of shopping in your own closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Compact attitude - We got rid of so many things when we moved one time, that we lived in a "zen tree house". It was so calming and open. I even gave up media for a year. No internet, magazines, newspapers, t.v., books! It was heavenly. Nature in the city was entertaining enough. I found myself dreaming about animals, the ocean, and trees all year and made some cool paintings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I have to hear more about this "zen tree house".

    I think it is great to give away clothes to those in need when you acquire something new. Share the love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, I'm game as well! While I'm good at certain things (like sneaker love), pattern mixing is not my forte so feel free to create :)

    And may I please come watch when you're in PJ's closet if it's cool with PJ?

    Love, AC

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's cool with PJ. Let's have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, please. i have pieces that have not seen the light of day for years. i was not born with the Garanimals gene. i need help.
    i'll come out of the closet for you... seriously, i wold.
    muah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi lady,
    If you ever come up to Oakland I'd love to have you create an outfit for me! You have inspired a couple of my outfits recently, especially a double skirt layer thing using a skirt I sewed but that's a little too thin on its own and a skirt I love that has an oil stain.

    Also, wanted to tell you that my daughter and you are soul mates. She creates a new awesome outfit everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Tiffany! I'm glad to hear your rocking the double skirts! And impressed to hear you sew! I look forward to seeing my fashion soul mate in person soon. I've been meaning to get up north for a long time!

    ReplyDelete