one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

We Wear The Pants!

I was happy to learn that out of 36 people I did NOT own the most pairs of pants. I was surprised that most people (12) have under five pairs of pants. That seems like quite a modest number. Now I am curious to know how many pairs of jeans people have. I am also wondering if people included yoga pants, sweat pants, or if they were thinking slacks, cords, and seersucker bell bottoms. I don't know.  I guess I need to make my polls more specific.

I had a happy day after seeing Leo perform in his Spring Concert with his peers. It was adorable and included a folk dance where Leo danced with a girl! Afterward Haha and I strolled about and enjoyed the sights around the city. Everything was good up until the point where I drove for an hour in traffic to pick up Charlie at the Wadsworth Theater (located near one of the most congested intersections in the nation - Westwood and Wilshire), only to discover that the bus had taken the kids back to school. Therefore, I would be late and I did not have any numbers for the coordinators. Smart.

This was one of those occasions I was ecstatic that a) I had my cellphone. and b) it was charged. I called Richard and told him the situation . He said he could leave work and fetch Charlie. While I was on the phone with him I got a call from the parent coordinator asking if I had Charlie. I said "No" and became even more upset than I had been. Charlie was missing and it was my fault.

In those next 20 minutes where I did not know what was going on, I was struck by how I would do anything to have Charlie be okay, yet I so often feel annoyed or upset by his behavior. Why does it take something bad to happen to make me see the blessings I have in my life?

Charlie was in a friend's car. Richard got him and the parent who called me was forgiving of our error.  I was thankful and appreciative of the universe and family and friends. I must remember to always count my blessings!

Outfit:

Shirt: Goodwill. Lux.

Polkadot wrap: Thrift store.

Jeans: Hand me Down from Pollyanna! Express.

Shoes: Mossimo

4 comments:

  1. With a 12 and 8 year old, I am JUST starting to feel grateful for them on a daily basis. When they were younger, I just didn't have TIME!
    Oh, and one of them at least was always hitting me or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the combos in this outfit. can't wait to have you come over and show me a thing or two. we can even take some pictures. maybe you could bring a few outfits for yourself for the week and matty can take some really great shots of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why you think it was your fault that Charbar was missing. It sounds like miscommunication on the part of the school and like you said, thank goodness for cell phones, family, friends and angels watching over him. I send them all angels everyday.Smile! P.S., I wish I could have seen Leo dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Video! Video! Please. Tell PA to tell you her dad's story about getting lost on the beach or her brother getting lost at Rancho Park.

    ReplyDelete