Birth of a project

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Double Duty!

As I was crawling into bed this morning at 5:50, my friend Erin was enjoying the very wee hours with her little ones. She got up at 5:20, to be exact. So there we were, two ships passing in the dawn. The night owl and the early bird, both inspired not only by our own natures, but by our little chickies. I won't go into the whole story of why I was up so late, but I will say that HaHa was up for two hours in the middle of the night. I comforted her, gave her water, rubbed her back, and put on music, but after about an hour I left her crying in her crib and went back downstairs to finish up some work. Imagine my surprise when I heard cries of "Mah-mah... mah-mah" approaching! Haha was apparently lifted out of her crib by her 5 year old brother. I had thrown in the towel, but her brother said, "H to the N mom. You're not gonna' leave this cryin' child in my room!"

So I held her, and she slowed me down. I waited a while then I gingerly placed her back in her crib. I finished my work, made lunches, sent a few emails, brushed my teeth, then lay my heavy head down at 5:50 a.m! The phone rang 10 minutes later, but I couldn't sub today because I had an appointment. Part of me wondered if I could have gone to work without sleeping at all. Probably not a good idea. It does make me wonder. I guess this is part of getting old. I can't do all-nighters anymore.

HaHa called me from her crib at 8:30. My outfit today reflects my fatigue and lack of inspiration. It also had two lives. My original creation ended up getting changed back to a more subdued outfit, because I was cold, and didn't feel up to whimsy. Blame it on the lack of zzz's!

Oh! The highlight of my day was getting to meet my amazing friend's new baby girl! She is beautiful and sweet and she had that new baby smell!


Embroidered Shirt: Thrift store. This is actually the bottom half of a dress I cut in two. I tied the ends to create the "top".

Grey sweater: From cousin. A comfy staple for me. I've worn it quite a bit, so I decided to wear it in a "new" way.

Jeans: Big Sunday. Bu from Malibu.

Shoes: Predictions.

See the double bags under the eye?!


  1. you look pretty darn snazzy for someone who's had no rest and the "double bag" comment is hilarious. can't wait to meet the new baby as well :)

  2. You guys are making me jealous with those long sleeves. It's fricken hot here already. So much for the myth that June's not hot in NY.

  3. I think it is pretty hot in June as far as I remember! Here is was cold enough for sweaters!

    Thank you, Freshmaker for the vote of confidence!