one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Polling!

I realize that I never addressed the poll results of my "Did You Vote?" question. The total number of votes was quite low, especially in comparison with the last poll. I can't say that I am surprised. It is actually quite apropos.

When I saw the number of votes on the June 8th elections, I was shocked. In a city of millions, the votes were in the thousands. To be more precise, out of 1.6 million registered Los Angeles voters, 290,000 of them actually managed to vote on June 8th. That's fairly discouraging considering you have the opportunity to cast your vote by mail. You don't even have to get to the polls anymore...

I must say, I am not surprised, but it is a bit disappointing. How do we take our right to vote for granted? How do we not vote when the city and state is in such crisis? What happened to the overcrowded polling places of November 2008? Where did the hope go?...

I guess the hope, like everything else in politics, is going down the crapper. And why wouldn't it? Almost two years into the Obama era, and everything feels pretty much the same as before. The hope that was palpable that November eve feels lost and empty. Afghanistan. BP. Health Care. Bail outs. Our further estrangement with our "allies", Guantanamo Bay, Don't Ask, Don't Tell...

I'm not asking, but I'm telling you, something's rotten in Denmark.  

Outfit:

Thai Skirt: I decided to wrap this and wear it as a shirt while I was fooling around with what to wear today. This was one of the first gifts Richard gave to me. He got it while he was touring South East Asia.

Sweater: Hand me down from cousin. Merona.

Jeans: Hand me down from friend.

Shoes: zoe & zac.

I've included a family "portrait" that shows what I have in store for me when parenting HaHa.  She is crying because I am holding on to her while she is perched on the four- foot slanted wall. She wanted me to let go...




 


5 comments:

  1. First of all, you are looking more glamorous by the day. Narrower options: greater style. How does THAT work?!
    Second of all, my 1.5 year old pitched a screaming/redfaced/flopping like a fish fit yesterday because I had the presumption to hold his hand while crossing the street. We need to get these two together. They might, between them, have enough sheer orneriness to patch Denmark right up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should get them together. It would be fun to see them in action! As for the narrower options. I think it's like when you don't do laundry for a million years and you have to wear your nicer things.I guess it's also the experimentation part where I try to use/pair things differently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love Obama and am grateful that he is in office. If not for him, I would not have gotten the COBRA care at a discount and the federal extensions for my unemployment. He has made changes with the banks re: their despicable practices of raising your interest rates without you knowing, charging high late fees, etc., and is trying to do something related to the crooks on Wall Street. He is a real cool cucumber, gracious, funny & he knows how to spell...People need to give him a break...Obama fan...Aunt Janine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to hear somebody still like The O. He has been taking a lot of hits lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still like the O. I think he's getting a rough shake.

    ReplyDelete