one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Take Me Away!

Today was one of those "Calgon, take me away!" days. When I was a child, I used to be mesmerized by those commercials. There was something captivating about them. The chaos and exasperation, perhaps. They gave me a glimpse into life as an adult that I could only wonder about: "Is it really that bad?"

Turns out, it can be. When it is, most of the time, I blame hormones.

I have learned in my old age that hormones are VERY powerful. I actually learned this little golden nugget when I became pregnant for the first time. I was all about my immediate personal needs, and my needs were dictated by my body. I had never been so in touch with my physical self. When I was hungry, I was ravenous. When I was tired, I was practically narcoleptic (Luckily never at my job or on the road). And, when I was cranky, I was a mega-nasty bee-otch. It's hard to believe Richard and I survived those nine months. But in truth, I was really happy for most of my first pregnancy because I just couldn't believe that it was happening. With Leo, not so much. With HaHa, I was in total shock, and I was completely paranoid that she was going to be deformed, or that something was wrong with her due to the fact I took antibiotics not knowing I was with child.

So, that's three pregnancies in 6 years, and lactation for approximately four and a half years (and counting). And, all the while my hormones have been wacko. I am assuming it's normal given the circumstances, but sometimes I wish it weren't so. Just the other day, I came up with an equation: PMS + Rambunctious children = The fifth circle of Hades.

I just can't wait for menopause!

Outfit:

Striped tank: Goodwill. Abercrombie & Fitch.

Black shirt: Hand me down from cousin.

Skirt: Thrift store. This is another skirt that used to  be a dress. I don't know why I cut it, because it was totally cute. I think I just got tired of it as a dress, but I liked the print.

Shoes: Capezio. These are so, so comfortable!

I've included some photos of HaHa bear because she has some fans! And one of Lee-lo and his shadow.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't been there, so I'm not sure, but I've heard that menopause ain't so pretty neither. Ah, to be a woman!
    xo t

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like stripes and florals! Thank you thestreetfraction5xpro!

    I was being sarcastic about menopause! I've heard it's a bitch!

    Thanks Freshmaker, I try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh goody, it's just hormones! I was getting way too existential about it...
    I think you should get the Fields Medal for that equation.

    ReplyDelete