one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Welcome Escape!






Today, I got to get into the classroom I will be occupying this summer, and I got to go to a graduation party for a very promising young lady! The graduation fete was called a "Get Out of Jail" party because the young lady who was being honored did not really relish high school. That is to say, she received more enjoyment from working after school with children, people with Down's Syndrome, volunteering, and participating in theater. She realized that there was much more life to live beyond the walls of her school, than in her school, where her peers seemed concerned with shallow and trivial pursuits. And, apparently, she is not a fan of teenagers.

We have something in common.

One of her teachers was at the party and he had nothing but glowing things to say about her, so it is not that she doesn't enjoy learning and studying. There were also many other guests with praise for the graduate. It was a very fun and happy occasion, and I am so glad I got to be there. I will leave out the antics of my children while we were at the party...

On a completely different note, today when I was working in the classroom, I was trying to help HaHa turn on a computer, which she was determined to do, and she pushed my hand away and said "I do it!" It sounded like, "I'll do it", and Richard and I started cracking up! She said it again later, and I'm sure she'll be saying it again. That's my little independent HaHa bear!

Outfit:

I got a sun burn when we were at the park a few days ago, so I opted for a racer back tank today. These past couple of days my shoulders have really killed me. I wanted to be comfy so I paired it with these kick around corduroys. Of course when I got dressed this morning I wasn't thinking about the party later, but I manage to spruce up my outfit with just a couple of tweaks!

Print Shirt: Forever 21. I really can't resist a fruity print!

Brown Pants: Goodwill. I.N.C.

Sweater: Hand me down from cousin. Merona.

Shoes: Fit Flops.

Tweaked by adding:

Gold Crop Jacket: I got this for 5 buck at Walmart when I was visiting my mother in Hanson, Mass. 

Shoes: Patricia Field's for Payless  that I got for 12 bucks! I was looking for shoes for the boys a couple years ago, and I went to peruse the 10's. I saw these and snapped them up! I wish I had bought a second pair because they are soooo comfy!

Pants: I took the elastic bands I had around my wrists earlier in the day and gathered the pants at the bottom so they were more stylish, and less frumpy... At least I hope they were!

No comments:

Post a Comment