one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fireworks!

I just got off of the roof where I enjoyed this year's fireworks! Climbing the ladder was a bit scary,  especially with  HaHa in my sling, but the risk was worth the excitement and howls of the boys. They were also a little scared, but they braved the heights, and had a good time. Ayiko, joined us, and she too, was very, very brave!

This morning, while I was taking a relaxing, 15 minute bath, I got to peruse one of my beloved unread Harper's Bazaar, and came upon an article which explained that it is now acceptable to wear "evening looks around the clock". The article was titled "Sequins At Breakfast". Sequins at breakfast?! How exciting! Now I have the green light to break out the fancy clothes for day! Whoopee! This will give me more wiggle room as I run out of things to wear. I also just love sequins.

So, having found this new fashion freedom, I decided to wear a dressier shoe with my daytime outfit. Leo picked out the shoes  when I gave him the choice between two pair. I must admit though, I felt somewhat silly at the grocery store and OSH walking around in gold heels. So, when I went to target with Ayiko, I wore my Fit Flops.

As I write this, Ayiko and Richard, are having an intense political and philosophical debate which is making it impossible for me to concentrate. If you ever want to talk politics, or religion, or any of the taboo subjects, come over to our house and sit down next to Richard. He'll debate about anything. ANYTHING. By the way, I should give a shout out to my brother and my cousin! They were both born on the Fourth of July, and they are both fine, kind, and upstanding young men. My cousin is a police officer who is dedicated and sincere in his desire to protect people. He is concerned about gangs and the youth who get sucked into that world. He is determined to see that the problem improves.

 My brother just graduated at the top of his class in the Air Force. He is in the engineering branch. He has always been at the top of his class! He's one smart cookie! Happy birthday officers!!!!

Outfit:

I call this outfit "Gypsy Meets House Frau".

Floral dress: Goodwill. Limited Express. This is a dress that I have decided I don't really love, butI am wearing it now because I need it. I got it when I was working in admissions.

Black dress: Urban Outfitters. I got this dress at least 15 years ago in New York. It's a keeper I guess. I rubberband-ed it in the back to allow the other dress to peek through.

Shoes: Goodwill. Jelly Beanz.

2 comments:

  1. Your other cousin Matthew and Grandpa Kennedy were also born on the 4th of July. Where were the fireworks that you were able to see from the roof? I think Leo was cute picking out the gold shoes. I hope Ayiko and Richard learned something new from each other about whatever topic they were discussing. Open minds & Open hearts is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard is the WORST to talk to! (Sarcasm).

    Thanks for including me in on your "Rooftop Firework Celebration", wolf howling (the boys) and new appreciation for sling usage.

    And thanks for the lively debate from Richard, of course I learned something and as usual, Richard cracks me up...it never feels remotely serious.

    ReplyDelete