one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Friday, August 13, 2010

The High Line!

Today, my brilliant in all ways friend, Leila, took me to The High Line. It was stunning, and it is the perfect example of taking something that is out of use (an old delivery train line in the meat packing district), and re-purposing it. The space hosts a landscape that is indigenous and lush, public art, lovely views, and space for New Yorkers to convene.

While we were walking I got accosted by a fellow blogger who has a video component to his blog. He asked me what I thought about tax cuts and social security. I felt put on the spot, and his questions were a bit leading. I don't think I gave him the answer he wanted...

Once again it is 1:14 a.m. and HaHa just went to bed. I have to get up early again. so I am going to head to bed and keep this post short and sweet! I guess Bittersweet Melancholy will have to wait again!

Leila also took me through the West Village, where she showed me some choice buildings, and to the currently-being-renovated Washington Square Park. The weather was perfect summer weather, by the way. HaHa played in the fountain, and we headed downtown afterward to meet up with the lovely Beckman-Shapiro clan! We spent an absolutely wonderful day there, which turned into a lovely night where we all sang together as the kids (teenagers) played piano to accompany us. I love those Beckman kids! They are a talented bunch! The parents aren't too shabby neither!

Outfit:

The shirt I'm wearing today is the same shirt I wore yesterday, only I'm wearing it backwards! I really recommend that you play with your clothes people. You might be surprised by what you come up with!

Shirt: French Connection.

Skirt: Marshall's circa 1988.

Shoes: Fit Flops.

HaHa in Battery Park. She loves her some water!!!

7 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! This might just be my favorite HaHa picture of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that all three of the kids have worn that little crazy bathing suit. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMFG. HaHa is KILLIN' ME!!! I can't stand it. I have to agree but this is my second favorite picture. The first being the "cheese" face with the straw hat.

    This little girl is somethin' else. LOFL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this is like a post modern court portrait. It could hang at MOMA, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, she's a real poser, that one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the most lovely days of my summer. I miss you already. xo Leila

    ReplyDelete