one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Midnight Blues!

Picture two women typing on their computers after a long day out of the house with five busy children. Picture three boys upstairs in bunk beds after being tucked in at 11:00 p.m., tuckered out. They are 9, almost seven, and five.
Downstairs, with the women, are 2 girls, ages 3 and almost two. As the midnight hour approaches they play and disagree about what to do with two baby dolls. They push strollers and try on random socks from the floor. They roll about and click and un-click stroller straps.

Did I mention that it is after midnight? As in the Witching Hour. I tell you, these girls are something. HaHa is now offering me some tea from a plastic tea pot. When I was in New York I was out several nights with HaHa on the train after 11:00 p.m. When I  used to live in New York and happened to take the train late at night, I would always cast aspersions when I would see mothers and their children on the subway. Who would have their kids out on all the train all night? Bad parents, I thought. And here, years later, it seemed that I was one of them. Of course, now that I have been through the late night train rides with HaHa in tow, I  realize they could have been parents that had just come from a party, or visiting relatives, or picking up their kid from a friend's house, or whatever. It doesn't really matter. I was judgmental, and I need not have been.

Tonight my sister and I kept the kids out at Chuck E. Cheese's until 9:30. After their pizza-fueled gaming experience we stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up some milk. Of course, this turned into an hour-long excursion filled with wishes for stuff, and five kids jumping all over the place. We decided to get out of there when my sister's blood sugar started to plunge, and the kids had not broken anything yet. Just in the nick of time!

Outfit:

Shirt: Hand me down from friend. Lux.

Skirt: Goodwill. Old Navy. This is actually a halter that I am wearing as a skirt.

Shoes: Fit Flops. Some snap shots of the day.  My beautiful Sister. Charlie at Chuck E's. Gorgeous Arizona clouds. They were stunning! P.S. It is 1:58 a.m. and HaHa is still going strong!

3 comments:

  1. You look so beautiful in the pic above. Chuck E Cheese's looks good on you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that Hollis with pigtails in the car pic, or her cousin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa! Thank you for the compliment! My sister did her hair! Twice. Richard hates it! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete