one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Funeral and a Wedding!

Today I broke out two of my black dresses. I needed them to wear for two of life's most momentous occasions, on both ends of the spectrum of emotion.

The first was the memorial of the wonderfully enchanting and kind Irene Cagen Forrest. It was a moving memorial and it really honored the spirit and life of Irene. It also gave many of those in attendance some new memories to take with them as they left the service. I did not know Irene long, but I felt close to her very quickly. She is one of those people who is so willing to include you in her circle and her heart, if you want to join it!

We love and miss you Irene, but your spirit is keenly felt.

Now I am off to a wedding. I will be singing for strangers, but one thing I enjoy about performing at weddings is that the love is palpable. It is one of the happiest days of most people's lives, and it is an honor to be part of it!

Outfit:

Both of my dresses are thrift store finds.

Dress: The first was 2 bucks! I scored it at some crazy sale, and I altered it. It had a big ruffle across the top that I took off, and it also had a pointy hemline which I altered to make the bottom even.




Dress: The second dress was from the Salvation Army near my mom in Hanson, Mass. It is a Ralph Lauren gown, and I got it for 19 smackers! Pretty awesome, huh? I tied it with a scarf a friend gave me many years ago.

Shoes: American Eagle. I walked up the big hill to The Getty in these. They are SO comfy! 

1 comment:

  1. Layna: Both dresses are fabu, and you look great in both, but what a coup that Ralph Lauren was--$19!! Timeless American ease, I can't wait to see Hollis wear that to her Prom.
    Love.
    D

    ReplyDelete