one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Fences!

Maybe it's a sign that we are too comfortable, but last night Richard and I got into an argument in front of a friend. Now, the argument had to do with the fence that separates our yard from our neighbor's yard. It had been leaning and deteriorating for quite some time, and Richard decided that rather than hire someone to mend the fence, he and his brother would embark on another DIY project. He also decided to tell Jordan to sledgehammer the fence without telling Jordan to let our neighbor, who has two dogs mind you, know. I also was unaware that Jordan had ripped out the fence. So, when I heard our neighbor calling her dog over and over, I did not think anything of it. It was only when I saw our neighbors' dog in our back yard that I went outside and noticed the entire fence torn to smithereens, and lying all over the place. I also saw that there was nothing preventing the dogs, or kids, from running down the street. Rusty nails stuck out everywhere, and it was a mess.

I, of course, was furious, and when Richard came home he got an earful. Richard was defensive, and we got in one of our Battle of the Bulge arguments (Richard says that using the Battle of the Bulge as a reference is a gross overstatement). Getting back to my friend, she was probably wishing she had made plans to watch the playoff game elsewhere, but she was stuck. I think Robert Frost said that "Good fences make good neighbors." Maybe this applies to more than neighbors. Maybe it applies to friends as well.

Outfit:

Dress:  I was "saving" this dress for the right occasion, and today seemed to fit the bill. I had a baby shower to attend and I went in style!  This dress was given to me by a friend. She bought it at a yard sale, and it appears to be from the 70's. It is silk, and the label says Ayesha. I think it might be from the designer Ayesha Davar. I've included a picture below of how the dress looks before I tie it. I tie it to give it a little more shape and a less preggers look!


Shoes: You know I love 'em! Mossimo.

Jacket: I threw this on when I went out in the afternoon. Given to me by my best friend's ex-roomate.

No comments:

Post a Comment