one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK



Today is one of those days. We stayed in our pajamas for a long time, lit a fire, and finally agreed that it was time to get dressed. Charlie and Leo woke up before Richard and I, and now that Charlie has figured out how to use our complicated remote, he put on two TV shows while we were sleeping. I asked him what made him think that it was okay to watch a show and he replied "Well, I was standing in your room and you didn't say anything." The fact that I was sleeping seemed to be of no importance to him. I realized that we are going to have to start hiding the remote.

The boys and I talked about Martin Luther King and it seems that we have a lot more talking to do. It amazes me just how much has changed, and yet, there is still so much work to be done. I think about my background and the fact that marriage between different races only became legal a few years before I was born. Even with the Loving vs. Virginia decision, there were still several states where anti-miscegenation laws remained on the books until 2000.

For me, being mixed has been an incredible blessing and I can not imagine any different life. It has allowed me the opportunity to truly see all people as people, with no color-based hierarchy. When you are a child, and you see two parents, with two different skin tones, it does not occur to you that there is anything unusual about it. You carry that with you, into the world, and are able to communicate with everyone. I was always friends with everyone. I did not know I was "different" until a woman told my mom to "Get that half-breed out of the street". We were playing baseball. My mom slapped her. The woman in question was an alcoholic who beat her kids, by the way. I asked my mom what a half breed was, and she explained it as best she could.

The past two years at school I have read a book to the children called Martin's Big Words. Each time I cried while I was reading it, much to their surprise. Their innocence, along with the power of Martin's dream, is heady and powerful stuff.

Outfit:

Two dresses. Both given to me. The purple peasant dress I would guess is from the 70's. The green dress on top is from designer Ella Moss.

Boots: From friend.

I had a tough time taking pictures this morning with all the kids at home and Richard working. The boys just left to go to the Clippers Game! Time to blahg!

I know all of your thoughts and prayers are with Haiti. In addition to the many organizations that are raising money a friend of mine is involved with a Vegan Bake Sale that will be taking place in several cities around the country. You can bake or you can buy! Check it out at : http://theppk.com/blog/2010/01/13/vegan-bake-sales-for-haiti/

Dream.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say it is an honor to get a peep into your beautiful life and mind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear the conversations you have with your kids about MLK. If I can be of any help in that area I would love to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any advice is welcome. I can always use help in every area!

    Thank you Maia, I feel very honored by YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete