one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday's Child!




Yesterday at pick-up, a brilliant teacher I have worked with in the past, pulled my shirt to my belly to see if I was hiding something. I promptly told her Richard got a vasectomy, then I told her also that I did have pregnancy scare. Or maybe it was pregnancy paranoia.

It all started about three weeks ago when Richard and I went on a date to Umami Burger. When we left the "fresh" La Brea air and walked through the doors, I was hit by a wave of nausea so intense, I immediately panicked. Of course Richard, who never panics, said "You always think you're pregnant." I would not say that I always think I'm pregnant. In fact, before I met Richard I never took a pregnancy test. Thirty years I went without thinking I was pregnant. Then "bam!", Richard and his radioactive sperm came into my life. For those of you who don't know Richard, he can often be found with an Apple computer on his lap. I think the computer has somehow strengthened his bad boys so they can surmount any obstacle. However, I'm trusting they will not be able to fight the scalpel. Now back to my scare.

A few days late. A week late...

The day after Richard got cut, I needed to get some things for Charlie to donate to a school. I took myself to Target and decided to pick up a pregnancy test as well. By the way, can I just say that the clothes they have right now are adorable. Of course, I am not allowed to buy, but I did look and wonder why I was wishing I could pick up a few pieces to add to my closet. The answer hung above me on a sign: "Gotta Have It". That said it all.

I got home and promptly peed on a stick, fearing what I would see. I saw the lines begin to form and was floored when I saw two lines and believed I was, indeed, pregnant. "Richard!", I said in a strident tone. I showed him the test and I started to curse like a sailor. How could this happen? We were using condoms. We were being careful. As my mind raced with the terrible irony and thoughts of what it would mean for our family, I realized that I had read the test wrong. There was supposed to be a plus sign. There wasn't. I felt relief and confirmation that our decision, Richard's decision, was the right one. I got my period five days later.

Outfit:

Shirt - I got this shirt when I was in high school at The Salvation Army. There was a Salvation Army about two blocks from where I lived, so I went there all the time for "treasure hunting". I've kept this shirt, even though I seldom wear it, because of the ruffled collar. I believe this shirt is hand sewn because there are no labels and it looks like it is.

Sweater - This sweater was an awesome score from one of my most prized and talented friends! I wore this for about two weeks straight when she gave it to me. It is from H&M.

Pants - I got these when I was pregnant. They are from Goodwill. They are not maternity, but they are low-waisted. I really don't believe in maternity clothes. You really can get by without them. Maybe a few shirts when the belly gets giant. More on that later.

I love the textures of these items mixed together!

Shoes - Airwalk

Hollis - Napping after being scared out of bed by her screaming bros early in the a.m. I know some of you like to see her. Hopefully tomorrow!!!

4 comments:

  1. I agree! And your follower list is growing - seems I'm not the only person that LOVES this blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the shout outs! I really, truly, can't thank you enough for looking at my blahg!!!!! xoxo-S!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blahg too! And I can only imagine what the TMI people are thinking now. I for one am glad you're sharing. This is so fun. I'm feeling closer to you everyday. And glad you mentioned the desire to shop. I'm wondering when that will pop up more and more as I'm sure it will. And YES...more Hollis (and Charlie and Leo and Jordan for the matter).

    Hope Richard heals up soon.

    ReplyDelete