one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Change is Change!

Seeing that the new format of my ten-year-old Hotmail account is driving me batty, I realize that I am a gal that cannot stand change. At least certain kings of change. And now that I've just written that sentence, I am trying to figure out how I can explain the kinds of change I abhor. Visual change, perhaps. No, that's not quite it...

I hate it when something that works perfectly fine is swapped for something new, even if that new thing is "better". I dislike it when someone renovates my nearly one hundred year old kitchen and replaces the fully functional and lovely cabinets and counters with modern ones. I hate hair cuts most of the time... In thinking about it, I can say that it isn't life change that gets me down, it's more like aesthetic change. Like my husband cutting off his dreadlocks a week after our second child was born. Or Charlie getting his first haircut in a barber shop. I nearly cried. Seeing his youthful mass of hair fall to the floor made me mournful. And nostalgic. Maybe that's it. Maybe I hate changes that lead to nostalgia. That kind of sums it up, but not exactly.
Today I am hating the cameras I am having to use since my usual one is having problems. All of my pictures came out unfocused, so I resorted to using the broken one... Not a high point in my blogging career. I guess it's fitting, because my outfit was no prize either. I actually thought we might be going out tonight, so my plan was to throw a skirt and belt into the mix. However, Richard told me to "save" that incarnation of the outfit, as we were staying home. Too much work this week!

Outfit:

Under Sweater: I got this in NYC years ago at this really cool store that had all knit wear.

Over sweater: Same as last two days! Hand me down, Alfani.

Leggings: I have no idea how these came into my possession, but I've had them forever. I would never wear them out in the world without more coverage.

No shoes today! Yay!


HaHa bear in Da-Da's arms. You can see the wacky shadows on the photo from the broken shutter on the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment