one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Three Days to Go!!!

Can it be possible?! Do I really only have three days left of thinking about whether or not I've worn two or three items of clothing together already? Three more days of taking pictures of myself where 99% of them are horrid? Three more days of posting? Three more days where I am forbidden to shop?!

Heck Yeah! Three days to go baby! Boo-yah! I am almost at the finish line!!! Yippee!!!

I will probably have a few follow up posts, as mandated by Richard. Maybe tomorrow I'll let him post for me. I must say,  I have found that the blogging of this project, as well as the support and attention from my lovely readers, really, truly, kept me honest and motivated. I don't know if I would have kept my promise if I had just made it to myself. In fact, I believe I tried not to shop the year before last and I fell off the wagon pretty quickly. So, I really, really, thank you all for giving me the time of day!

Today, while driving to pick up my lovely mother-in-law at the train station, I got forced onto some carpool express way with no exits! I think it was going to LAX. After about 6 miles of driving (that felt like 10), I saw an exit for the 710 freeway, which happened to be ending. I was in Alhambra! All from one bad right turn.

Lucky for me, the train was late. So, I didn't have to feel horrible for making my mother-in-law wait in the dark, cold, night!

Outfit:

This outfit is so much better in person! So delicate, yet strong. I waited until the last minute to take my photos, and the light was not good. I then took them inside before dinner, but I was distracted. I was going to take them again right now, but I don't have the energy. At least you can see it's not a repeat!

Shirt: Goodwill. Isabel Marant.

Skirt: Thrift store. I got this many, many years ago. It was a dress, but I cut off the top. It was very frilly and not my style when I cut it, but I probably would wear it the original way today if I could! I think it is homemade.

Dress: Thrift store. Another ancient find. Joan Leslie by Kasper.

Shoes: Haha picked these out for me, and I rather like them with this. I probably would have chosen differently! Goodwill. Jelly Beanz.  




 

1 comment:

  1. Love the outfit and the shoes (HaHa is already a budding stylist) and I'm a million times over proud of you, your project and your resolve!

    ReplyDelete