one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Black Kids on Bikes!

Today I finally got to go for a "Freedom Ride" with the Black Kids on Bikes! My friend Ayiko told me about it awhile back and we had planned to go last month but we were thwarted by a flat tire. The event was started by a film maker named James Spooner. He is the director of a film called AfroPunk and he said that he started Black Kids on Bikes as a response to other L.A. rides he attended where there would be 80 people and only three of them were black. He wanted to create a space where black kids didn't feel on the outskirts.

The ride was awesome and I met some really great people. We rode from Fairfax up to Sunset, through Hollywood and Loz Feliz all the way Downtown. The weather was perfect, people on the road were friendly, and the scenery was lovely. It reaffirmed my love for L.A. I do love this city. For better or worse. For richer or poorer. Traffic, budget deficits, high rents, failing schools, all of it. It still is my home. 

Outfit:

I needed riding friendly clothes, and it just so happened that I had these biking pants my cousin gave me last year that she had never worn, and I had never worn! Perfect!

Shirt: The good ol' wifebeater. Hanes. I wore these all through my pregnancies!

Black Demi-button down: From clothing swap. Old Navy. I only wore this to cover up my hairy armpits as I got my ride on!

Pants: From cousin. Columbia Sportswear. They have hardware on the side to hold the legs up so they can't get caught in the spokes

Shoes: Airwalk.

Belt: This is from a great 80's dress that I have since let go of. I needed it to hold the pants up as they are a little on the large side!

3 comments:

  1. glad you guys finally got to go on the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute riding outfit! The belt really makes it. Did Ayiko go too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Ayiko went. The belt was an attempt to jazz up a dull outfit!

    ReplyDelete