one closet, one year!

I was getting dressed for a friend's birthday party and I didn't know what I was going to put on my body. I looked in my closet and it seemed empty, unpromising. I've had these moments before; everything was old, ill-fitting, or blah. I thought to myself, "Ugh! I have NOTHING to wear!" Then I began rifling through my closet and saw a forgotten shirt I loved and many more, and I realized I was crazy. I had plenty to wear, and plenty to choose from. My closet was FULL of treasures! At that moment I decided I would take a year to explore my closet and to add NOTHING new to my wardrobe.

I would create a NEW outfit for each day in order to maximize my wardrobe and shake up my style.

Basically, I would try to "snap out" of my fashion rut, and appreciate what I have.

It was my New Years' project:
One Closet, One Year.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Barbies!

I have to write a quick post today because I am running out of the house to meet some friends for a sort of birthday dinner that I was tricked into. I said I was not having any birthday celebrations until I was 40. Not because I'm ashamed of getting older, but because I had a few years of a lot of birthday extravaganza, including TWO surprise parties that the honorable Pollyanna organized because I found out about one. She staged a "fake" surprise party where I pretended to be surprised, and then really got me a week or so later when I had no idea what was coming. I think I screamed. It was very surreal.

I spent the late morning with Hollis visiting my friend and Supported Birth founder, Jana. She had some of her teenage daughter's old Barbies out for Hollis. We talked and and had great time, and eventually we dressed the Barbies, and Jana showed me a pregnant barbie doll she had gotten in Israel where the stomach pops off and there's a baby inside, and a flat stomach you turn over to cover the space where the baby was. It was pretty awesome and something I've never seen before. They don't make them anymore because people freaked out about them. However, you can still find them on the net, but they are very expensive. Fun fun! Have more to report, but I will try to stop myself from blabbing as usual!

Outfit:

Note: Two of these elements have been used together already, but you see how you can make a completely new outfit simply by changing a few things!


Shirt: I believe this is from the 2005 New York International Children's Film Festival. I fashioned it a few years back! Also seen in Casual Friday! Belt from another shirt from cousin.


Printed Skirt: Goodwill. Over another plain black skirt from Forever 21.

Jacket: Goodwill. Allegory. 

Shoes: These are from Target and I got them on sale for 7 bucks or something. I left them at my mom's two summers ago, but I told her to bring them back with her because I need them!

No comments:

Post a Comment